- 2 10oz. Pizza dough balls
- 6 oz. Flour
- 1/2 oz. butter
- 1/2 oz. flour
- 10 oz. milk
- 2 oz. grated parmigiano
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 6 oz. fennel sausage
- 1 red onion
- 12 Calabrian peppers
- 5 oz. grated parmigiano
- cutting board or pizza peel
- 2 pizza stones or 2 cookie sheets (If you only have one cookie sheet or stone, you may cook one pizza at a time.)
- chef’s knife
- small pot
- small sauté pan
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees with 2 pizza stones or 2 cookie sheets, one on each rack inside the oven during pre-heat. Pre-heat for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- One at a time hold garlic clove by root end and thinly slice. Discard root.
- Remove the dry tip of onion with chef’s knife. Slice onion in half, slicing through the root end. Remove outer layer of onion and discard. Set onion flat side down and thinly slice.
- Remove stem from peppers and rough chop.
- Place milk in small sauce pan and warm over low heat. Remove from heat.
- Melt butter in saucepan, once melted whisk in four and cook, whisking constantly until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit. (2 minutes) Add the warm milk, continue whisking as the sauce thickens. Bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Whisk in grated parmigiano and remove from heat.
- Take Pizza Dough out of refrigerator and let sit 10-15 min before stretching.
STRETCH PIZZA DOUGH
Watch our instructional pizza dough stretching video on our website www.veropasto.com before you begin. Hand stretching dough can be tricky, but fun! The video will help you navigate this new technique.
- Place dough on very well floured countertop, and flatten into a disc by pressing down and outward with the palms of your hands. Next pick up dough, use your fingertips, rotate the dough while pinching a ½” crust at the same time. Let gravity pull the dough into a 6” disk. If this technique seems to hard for you on your first try, you may use a rolling pin instead for this step to roll the dough into a 6” disk. Next place your dough back on a floured surface and using the edge of your palms begin to stretch in a circular motion from the inside of the crust edge. Do this over and over until your dough has stretched to 12” in diameter. Make sure to be very gentle with the dough at first until you get your rhythm, and do not squeeze out the air pockets. If you tear the dough, no worries. Just pinch back in place and continue. Place stretched dough on a fully floured cutting board or pizza peel. Make sure you have enough flour on your board that the dough can easily slide off the board. Remember, this is most likely your first time. Your dough does not have to be a perfect circle. This should be a fun experience, no perfectionists allowed. If your dough is not a perfect circle just tell your friends and family it’s “rustic”!
- Repeat this with your second dough ball and begin topping.
ASSEMBLE & BAKE PIZZAS
- You will assemble your pizzas one at a time on your floured cutting board or pizza peel.
- While topping with ingredients make sure to save ½ for your second pizza.
- Place first hand stretched pizza dough on floured cutting board.
- Using a spoon spread ½ of the béchamel sauce over the dough with your border a ½” crust. Don’t get any sauce on your board or your pizza will stick when sliding into the oven.
- Tear the fennel sausage into small bite sized pieces and evenly arrange over the crust.
- Distribute desired amount of thinly sliced red onions over the crust.
- Place desired amount of chopped Calabrian peppers over the crust.
- Place desired of olive oil poached garlic over the crust.
- Sprinkle desired amount of grated parmigiano over the top of dough.
- Slide topped pizza from your cutting board or pizza peel onto your first pizza stone or cookie sheet. Technique: Hold your peel or cutting board near your pizza stone at a slight angle. Using your wrists shake the board back and forth until it’s loose enough to slide onto your pre-heated stone.
- Assemble second pizza and repeat. Your first pizza will be done a few minutes before your second pizza.
- Cook each pizza 8-12 minutes or until desired crispness and golden brown.
- Let pizzas cool 2-4 minutes.
- Slice pizzas into desired number of slices.
- Enjoy your Pizza!