- 2 10oz. pizza dough balls
- 6 oz. flour
- 8 oz. red sauce
- 10 oz. fresh Marcoot mozzarella, (1 ball)
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 oz. shaved parmigiano (garnish)
- 1 oz. arugula (garnish)
- 3 oz. proscuttio (garnish)
- Cutting board or pizza peel
- 2 pizza stones or 2 cookie sheets (If you only have one cookie sheet or stone, you may cook one pizza at a time.)
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees with 2 pizza stones or 2 cookie sheets, one on each rack inside the oven during pre-heat. Pre-heat for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Take Pizza Dough out of refrigerator and let sit 10-15 min before stretching.
- Remove basil leaves from stem and set aside.
STRETCH PIZZA DOUGH
Watch our instructional pizza dough stretching video on our website www.veropasto.com before you begin. Hand stretching dough can be tricky, but fun! The video will help you navigate this new technique.
- Place dough on very well floured countertop, and flatten into a disc by pressing down and outward with the palms of your hands. Next pick up dough, use your fingertips, rotate the dough while pinching a ½” crust at the same time. Let gravity pull the dough into a 6” disk. If this technique seems to hard for you on your first try, you may use a rolling pin instead for this step to roll the dough into a 6” disk. Next place your dough back on a floured surface and using the edge of your palms begin to stretch in a circular motion from the inside of the crust edge. Do this over and over until your dough has stretched to 12” in diameter. Make sure to be very gentle with the dough at first until you get your rhythm, and do not squeeze out the air pockets. If you tear the dough, no worries. Just pinch back in place and continue. Place stretched dough on a fully floured cutting board or pizza peel. Make sure you have enough flour on your board that the dough can easily slide off the board. Remember, this is most likely your first time. Your dough does not have to be a perfect circle. This should be a fun experience, no perfectionists allowed. If your dough is not a perfect circle just tell your friends and family it’s “rustic”!
- Repeat this with your second dough ball and begin topping.
ASSEMBLE & BAKE PIZZAS
- You will assemble your pizzas one at a time on your floured cutting board or pizza peel.
- While topping with ingredients make sure to save ½ for your second pizza.
- Place first hand stretched pizza dough on floured cutting board.
- Pour 2-3 oz. of red sauce in the center of the dough. Using the back of a spoon spread the red sauce over the dough with your border a ½” from edge. Don’t get any red sauce on your board or your pizza will stick when sliding into the oven.
- Place ½ of the basil leaves onto dough. You may leave basil leaves whole or tear into smaller pieces if you prefer.
- Sprinkle half of the fresh mozzarella evenly onto dough.
- Slide topped pizza from your cutting board or pizza peel onto your first pizza stone or cookie sheet. Technique: Hold your peel or cutting board near your pizza stone at a slight angle. Using your wrists shake the board back and forth until it’s loose enough to slide onto your pre-heated stone.
- Assemble second pizza and repeat. Your first pizza will be done a few minutes before your second pizza.
- Cook each pizza 8-12 minutes or until desired crispness and golden brown.
- Let pizzas cool 2-4 minutes.
- Slice pizzas into desired number of slices.
- Garnish with arugula, shaved parmigiano, and prosciutto crudo.
- Enjoy your Pizza!